ACTIVE INFORMATION COLLECTION
Like many web sites, this site may actively collect information from you, its visitor, both by asking you specific questions and by permitting you to communicate directly with us via e-mail or feedback forms. Some of the information that you submit may be personal information (that is, information that can be uniquely identified with you, such as your full name, address, e-mail address, phone number, etc). From time to time, some areas of this site may require you to submit information in order for you to benefit from the specified features (e.g. a newsletter subscription) or participate in a particular activity (such as a survey). You will be informed at each information collection point what information is required and what information is optional. Please be aware, however, that if you decide not to provide that information, you may not be able to use some of the features of this web site. The Gas Mule processes personal data for specific and limited purposes, which we inform you about when we ask you for information. We may collect and use personal data to provide you with products or services, to send you products and services you have requested, to market products and services which we think may be of interest to you, or to communicate with you for other specific purposes. The Gas Mule keeps your data only for as long as is reasonably needed for each purpose and in accordance with any applicable legal or ethical reporting or documentation retention requirements.
PASSIVE INFORMATION COLLECTION
This site may use and combine such passively collected anonymous information to provide better service to site visitors, customize the site based on your preferences, compile and analyze statistics and trends, and otherwise administer and improve the site for your use. Such information is not combined with personally identifiable information collected elsewhere on the site unless you have consented.
USE AND DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION
If you provide personally identifiable information to this site, we may combine such information with other actively collected information unless we specify otherwise at the point of collection. We will take reasonable measures to prevent personally identifiable information from being combined with passively collected information, unless you consent otherwise.
The South African ‘Protection of Personal Information’ Bill sets forth several measures to protect personal data, including:
- Establishing an Information Protection Regulator with investigatory and enforcement powers;
- Requiring the data subject’s consent to process personal information;
- Requiring that notice be provided to the data subject and the Information Protection Regulator in order to process personal information;
- Setting limitations on processing of children’s personal information and information regarding data subjects’ religious of philosophical beliefs, race or ethnic origin, trade union membership, political opinions, health, sexual life or criminal behavior;
- Requiring entities who process personal information to implement security measures to maintain the integrity of the personal information;
- Requiring notification of data breaches to affected data subjects and the Information Protection Regulator;
- Requiring public and private entities to designate information protection officers;
- Setting restrictions on processing of personal information for the purpose of direct marketing by “automatic calling machine,” fax, text messaging and email;
- Limiting cross-border transfers of personal information unless the recipient is subject to laws, binding corporate rules or contracts that establish the same level of data protection as the Protection of Personal Information Bill;
In addition, we will make full use of all information acquired through this site that is not in personally identifiable form.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES
HOW TO CONTACT US
The Gas Mule
Tel: 061 111 MULE (6853)